Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Running Journal 1: Don't Call It a Comeback

A couple of weeks ago, my husband came barrelling through the kitchen with his planner in hand with a look of purpose on his face. When I asked what he was up to, he said, "I'm going to run the Fox Fest 5K in May."

Whut?

So back up to the end of August 2016. The ridiculously hot weather completely zapped my energy and will to run, and I started to fade in my regular running practice. We had planned to do a 5K in September or October, but my son's Cub Scout camping trip changed those plans.

Alas, since then, my running has fallen off. I've made a few unsuccessful attempts to re-start to no avail.

Until hubs declared his 5K participation. Now it looks like I'll be running my first race in two months, whether I'm ready or not!

I'd rather be ready, so I'm back to work. The first time around, when I blogged about Couch to 5K last year, I said I wish'd I'd kept a running journal, so here we are. I rewound my C25K plan to Week 3 in order to get level with my current fitness and get ready for the race in time. I've been at it a week or so.

The first run was great. Never felt better. I even did a few extra intervals because I had some gas left in the tank. On the second day, I was a little slower and felt heavier. I had some mild knee pain and just felt slow. Today, run three, was a beast. Mild knee pain, foot pain that faded, and a bitchin' heel blister that came up halfway through. But it's done, and overall, my pace is markedly improved from last year when I started this journey.

The truth of the matter is that running will never be as hard as it was the first time. The days when I would run 15 seconds and wish for death. Ha! I've never felt as healthy, strong, and badass as I did when I was running regularly, and I desperately need those positive feelings these days when my creativity has largely been sapped and overwhelmed.

Wish me luck friends. I'll need your good thoughts.

26 comments:

  1. It's SO much easier to return to running, you're right. Muscle memory, maybe? Or just knowing you will survive? Whatever it is, good luck! Racing is the best (well, finishing it and getting your medal or free snacks is)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And thank goodness for that! I'm all about medals and free food.

      Delete
  2. Well good luck! Kick the running's ass! Boom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I'm dying! Ok, not really. lol

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! Glad you're back into it and there's nothing like a race to get you motivated. When I was coming back after each baby I had (when I didn't run for like 8 months), I scheduled a race to give me something to shoot for.
    For your blisters, I love Balega Blister Resister socks with mohair and I also rub Body Glide on the areas of my feet that are prone to blisters before every run. Also - the skin there is probably just getting used to you running again...building up its callouses. The same thing is happening to me as I'm coming back from my back injury :)
    Sorry for all the unsolicited advice - haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your advice! I was going to ask the Twitters what to do about the blisters, but you saved me a tweet.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to get back to running! Sadly, I still have days when just walking around my house causes my foot fracture to flare up, so that's still out of the question. But when I DO go back - hopefully this year? - it will definitely be a comeback for me as I haven't done any real running since we moved to Boston three years ago, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that for you! It sounds downright miserable. Sending you all the good vibes!

      Delete
  5. It is easier than the first time. I've stopped and started a lot! This winter was bad. Up early, work late, after school stuff, the flu. I want to get back to where I was last summer. It really improves my mental health too. Less anxiety when I run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy! I bet winter was hard. Our winter was so mild, it kind of pissed me off. I definitely wanted to be running in the "cold" more. I definitely need it for the mental effects.

      Delete
  6. I've scheduled myself some pretty big races, and runs, this spring. It's hard. It's time consuming and I'm tired all the time, but I NEED it. I track it so many ways, and it makes me happy to see all those little marks add up. (In my bujo, on Garmin, and in a dedicated pocket calendar.) Good luck with your race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I'm tracking it several ways because it motivates me to see it building up. Good luck with your races!

      Delete
  7. You can do it!!! My running seems to come and go as well. It's so hard in the winter! I did a 5K last weekend and am doing another one in June. Feels good to be back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!!! Since I'm just getting back into it, this 5K seems like such a gigantic hurdle, but I know I can do it and I won't melt into a puddle in the middle of the street. lol

      Delete
  8. Good luck! You can do it!! My running fell off a bit too, but I'm hoping to pick it back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha! The title of this post. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help myself. lol

      Delete
  10. Yay to getting back on the horse! I've been very lackadaisical about exercising lately, and I need to get back on a regular schedule for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's harrrrrd. Well, the mental part is hardest for me.

      Delete
  11. Good luck!! You are going to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu! The hardest part is getting out of the damn house. lol

      Delete
  12. Good luck! I know you are going to kill it in the race!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, I thought that I'd already commented on this but I guess not?? Ugh. I'm so proud of you!!! This is going to be amazing! Also, I have good news and bad news: the bad news is that it never really gets easier, you just get stronger; you've already figured out the good news, which is that it'll never be as tough as it was in the beginning. KEEP GOING!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik