Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sweet Tooth (volumes 1 and 2) by Jeff Lemire


Oh, Sweet Tooth, how I love thee. Or maybe my silent prayer to the book gods should really be in honor of Jeff Lemire. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to read EVERYTHING he's written after picking these beauties up for Bout of Books 10.

Sweet Tooth is the story of a world gone all awry. After a strange plague wipes out most of humanity, all children are born animal hybrids, and they aren't susceptible to the illness like the regular folks. The protagonist is Gus, a nine-year-old boy who's been raised in the woods by his fundamentalist father. While Gus was taught NEVER to leave the woods, through various twists of fate he's connected with a man who's been personally touched by the mysterious plague and he leaves the woods forever. What he finds outside his safe place is a world of violence and uncertainty. 

I liked it more than Saga. I know! I KNOW! Saga is the it series right now, and everyone loves it, so this will sound like crazy talk to some of you, but I find the characters in Sweet Tooth to be far more sympathetic and written with greater depth. The plot doesn't sound like anything new if you've read post-apocalyptic fiction, but the wonderful characterization combined with awesome artwork really flips my switch. 

I picked up the first volume, Out of the Deep Woods (or listed as Out of the Woods in some locations), late in the Bout of Books readathon, and I sucked it right down. After I finished it, the desire to read more was really nagging at me, so I went ahead and spent part of an Amazon wedding gift card on the second volume, In Captivity. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'll continue with this series, and it cannot come soon enough! 

Jeff Lemire...you get me. 

Pub. Date: Beginning in May 2010
Publisher: Vertigo (DC Comics)
Format: E-book
ISBN: 9781401226961
Source: Bought 'em!

17 comments:

  1. I think you might have won me over with the Saga comparison! I really liked Saga, but I don't think I LOVED it as much as others did, so maybe this would be more my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I liked it a lot too, but this series pulled at my heartstrings in a way that Saga did not.

      Delete
  2. Oh damn. I'm in. As soon as I can buy books again. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap! Wish I knew how to "make these happen" for you!

      Delete
  3. You had me at plague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animal hybrids?! That sounds insane in the best possible way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! It is crazy awesome.

      Delete
  5. WHAT THE HECK?! This sounds crazy cool!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy and a heartstring puller! Best of all the worlds.

      Delete
  6. OKAY SURE. I have never even heard of these, but my library has a bunch of volumes of it, and soon those volumes will be in my house being read by me. And I will try not to compare it to Saga in my head because I don't want my love for Saga to mess with me loving Sweet Tooth (or vice versa).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't compare...just enjoy. Because it's sooooo goooooooooood.

      Delete
  7. I should probably pick this one up! I just brought home Saga #1 from the library and now I have another one I want to add.. I have been reading so much DC and Marvel lately I for sure need a change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gotta get my hands on these ones! Sadly, I'm moving and won't be checking out any more books at my current library, so I don't know when I will be able to read these ones. Keeping my fingers crossed that my new library is just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I first heard of this from Buried in Print. But my library doesn't have it... might have to inter-library-loan this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story looks FANTASTIC and right up my alley - but the art makes me feel a little weird. I'm going to have to think about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep changing my mind about which graphic novel to start with. Every time I read a glowing review, I think that will be the one and then I see another review and change my mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!