Thursday, January 02, 2014

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wanted to start the year off right, with a review of a stunning book. 

I knew I had to finish the Chaos Walking trilogy before year's end. In short, because it deserves to be finished because it's amazing. There are all kinds of things I could say about this series, and I will gush appropriately as we go through this review, but this is what you need to know:

Reading this series was an EXPERIENCE unlike any reading experience I've had. It was more immersive, more emotionally involving, and more tangible than any other reading I can remember. I laughed, cried, and cheered. Quite literally. 

In this final installment, Monsters of Men, Todd and Viola as well as the Mayor and Mistress Coyle, are fighting a war. They're fighting for their lives. They're fighting for what their world will be. 

The first book in this series was frenetic in pace. It was almost painful because the reading experience was damn near breathless. The second book was a little slower, but heavier on character development...a good thing! But this final book was a great marriage of both. A frenetic pace but with additional, wonderful character development and plenty of surprises.

Ness has written one of the greatest villains of all time in the Mayor. He's ruthless, lonely, empty, vindictive, stealthy. We have innocent antiheroes in Wilf and Lee. Stunningly real, flawed, wonderful protagonists in Todd and Viola. I loved them all, and I spent the last 100 pages of the book sobbing, gasping, and generally hanging onto my seat. 

What a satisfying book. What a heart-rending, beautiful series. One of the best I've ever read. 

Pub. Date: September 2011
Publisher: Candlewick
Format: E-book
ISBN: 9780763656652
Source: Bought it!

27 comments:

  1. I didn't love this series, but I thought this book was the best and a really nice ending to the series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you liked the last one more than the rest of the series, so that made me even more excited to read it! Wow, what an ending!

      Delete
  2. I feel like I'm spamming your comments every time you mention this series because it's getting to the point where I REALLY need to read it. I have a few other things on in January but February is wide open for it. I'm pleased you have enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you are hardly a spammer, Ellie! I'm glad you'll have some time coming up to devote to this series. I actually had to take a brain break between the first and second book because the first one was SO EMOTIONAL. I hope you like them as much as I did.

      Delete
  3. Warm and fuzzies. I have the warm and fuzzies. So very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so very thankful to YOU for making me read it!

      Delete
  4. I don't think this is for me but my sister loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure it was for me either, but Heather convinced me. :)

      Delete
  5. I loved this series! It had a lot of everything and was pretty well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's kind of one of those "something for everyone" series.

      Delete
  6. Have you read 'A Monster Calls' which Ness developed from an idea by Siobhan Dowd after she died? If not I can strongly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, and I loved it! It ripped my heart out but it was "a good cry." lol

      Delete
  7. I am a terrible person and loved the first book but was kind of 'meh' about the other two. I don't know why. Mood thing maybe? Will reread one day and see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Different strokes for different folks. :) And I know my mood certainly dictates my feelings about books.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I'm with you Kailana on that feeling. Raced through the first one but found the other two to be kind of tiresome. Ness has some excellent ideas and I love the ethical complexity in his stories but I did not care for his writing style overall. I was pretty disappointed, because most people love this series.

      Delete
  8. Color me convinced. It's going on the TBR right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The series is amazing. It starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go if you're new to this series.

      Delete
  9. I really need to read this series! I have only heard rave reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I hope you love it.

      Delete
  10. It has been a while since I’ve found a book that I can truly immerse myself in, so the fact that you used that word has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are incredibly involving. I knew I'd have no trouble finishing this one before the end of the year because they grab hold and DO NOT let go!

      Delete
  11. I absolutely loved this book! Especially the ending. No spoilers but I loved the way that Ness used the different fonts and text sizes to literally climax at the end. I felt that I was actually being yelled at, so effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I loved that as well. I was reading on my Nook e-reader, so it was probably slightly more effective in print, but I definitely got the idea. Very illustrative.

      Delete
  12. I do think Patrick Ness is best when you read him in print. Audiobook is not so good, I think, and even reading an ebook of a Patrick Ness book is not quite the same experience.

    BUT I am so glad you loved this series. I really wanted you to and I worried that I had set up too-high expectations for it. Wasn't it amazing and didn't you cry when someone, YOU KNOW when one character turned out to be alive after all? That was so good. I cried very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a recommendation! How can I not add it to the list?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!