Friday, January 03, 2014

Bout of Books 9.0

It's that time again! Bout of Books is upon us!


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. 

I love Bout of Books because, as the blurb says, it's a really laid back event. I very rarely do any challenges or try for any prizes, but I love visiting other participants and reading my fanny off. 


My goals:



  • Read two or three mid-length books (about 250 pages each)
  • Scratch that first goal. Instead of counting books, I'm shooting for 500-800 pages. I'll be happy with either, but that'll help me make headway on some of the chunky books I'm reading now and have coming up. :) 
  • Visit all the participants at least once
  • Do at least one BookTube video about my progress and share them here on the blog. 
Book possibilities:
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle
  • Possession by A.S. Byatt
  • The Diviners by Libba Bray
  • Oracle Night by Paul Auster (209 pages)
  • Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (232 pages)
  • Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson (240 pages)


Just a few ideas, mostly from my upcoming TBRs. The exception is Hangsaman, because every day is a good day for Shirley Jackson. :D

Are you participating in Bout of Books 9.0? What's on your list of goals and potential reads? 




29 comments:

  1. What about the Devil Buffalo book??? lol

    I'd better get my list together. I loved Bout of Books last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totes reading it! I'm glad it's going so fast. I need something to keep me trucking along. I'll probably pepper in some shorter reading this week, too, to keep my mojo going.

      Delete
  2. Rats! Why do I have to go back to school Monday morning? Can't I just stay home and read? I'm sure you'll write the principal an excuse for me, Andi...

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? I went back to work on the 2nd but the students won't be on campus until the 13th. Yay! It feels like vacation until then. lol

      Delete
  3. Shirley Jackson is a good one for Bout of Books. I'm still umming and ahhing about joining in but I'm pretty certain I will. Can't resist! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can usually read her books in little more than one sitting. I may not be able to do that during the week, but I'm sure I'll still bust through Hangsaman. I hope you decide to join!

      Delete
  4. I've decided to participate, but will probably only have the first half of the week to really get in some good reading. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll have some ebbing and flowing responsibilities that will get in the way, but it'll help focus me on reading, I hope!

      Delete
  5. Now that I see your post, I'm thinking about joining the event. I have a stack of books that I'm in the middle of. I would love to finish them all soon. Happy reading and good luck with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hate it when I end up with a bunch of unread books. I'm trying to keep it down to 2 at a time this year to avoid that. Good luck with your reading!

      Delete
  6. I am looking forward to participating, but I haven't made any goals yet. It's hard to decide what is a good goal following such a slow reading year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I've been there. I hope whatever your goals are that you have a great time!

      Delete
  7. Great goals, this will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suck at all readathons, except Dewey's (and even then I never do make it 24 hours!) but I'm very tempted by this one. It's going to be much too cold to do much else beside read any way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's fun to try. I'm usually not as good at them as I'd like to be either. Stay warm!

      Delete
  9. I didn't realize it's almost Bout of Books time! I need to get my list together! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you're joining. I saw it pop up recently and knew I had to get in on the reading action.

      Delete
  10. Great list of books! I'm in the mood for a Shirley Jackson re-read so will have a look to see what I've got and add it to my list for BoB. Good luck with your goals and reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley is totally re-readable. I know I will be doing plenty of that myself in the coming years. After I devour all of her work for the first time, that is.

      Delete
  11. I always try to make it to the Twitterchats because they are fun! But usually during the school year I can only get in my usual reading. But I will be reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely need to try to make it to a Twitterchat. Will need to re-check the times. Daytime usually works better than nighttime for me, which is backwards to most of the rest of the world. Happy reading!

      Delete
  12. I'm not -- but am thinking that I should join

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have fun! I have a crazy week so I can't do this round of Bout of Books, but it's super fun. I can't wait to check in on your progress. Good luck with Possession -- it's worth some of the slogging parts (and totally ok to skip the poetry... I did that in parts).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck! I love your idea of counting pages instead of books. I think that's a lot more motivating :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your idea of counting pages! That's awesome. I might have to steal that idea sometime :-) I want to read 5 books but like you, have a couple of bigger ones I want to read...that will throw off my numbers quite a bit. Good luck with the read-a-thon, it and Dewey's 24 Hour one are my favorite bookish events!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!