Monday, December 30, 2013

It's Monday! The Reading is GOOD!

Top o'the mornin' to ya! I don't have to go back to work until Thursday, so I'm enjoying this last stretch of lazy days. Greyson came home from Chuck's last night, and we've been relaxing and doing whatever we feel like. For him, that means playing with Christmas toys and PocketGod on my tablet, and for me it means cracking the spine on a few more books before the new year rolls around.


Right now I'm reading Monsters of Men, by Patrick Ness. Most likely I will polish it off today. It was really important to me to finish off the Chaos Walking series before year's end because it's one of those series that really deserves to be gobbled up and not stretched out over time and forgotten. 

This will probably be the last book I can squeeze in to 2013, so my first book of 2014 will probably be one of these...


I resolved my little issue of not knowing what to read for Jazz Age January! I have Libba Bray's The Diviners waiting on my Nook along with Bright Young Things by Anna Godberson. I think I'm in the mood to read a book set in the 20s rather than written in the 20s. Right now I'm leaning toward The Diviners, based on the sample I whipped through. I've become interested in books about Spiritualism since I read Affinity, by Sarah Waters, earlier in the year. 

And of course I'll be reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins for the upcoming Wilkie in Winter discussion. I'll shut up about it as soon as it's over. Promise!

There are also several books I have left to review from 2013. 



Stay tuned for my Best of 2013 posts coming later this week! In the meantime, are you cramming in a book or two more before the end of the year? 


Hosted by the illustrious Sheila from BookJourney!






24 comments:

  1. You've had a great 2013! I just squeezed in book #100 so I'm going to write and schedule some reviews, I think. BTW, can I use that It's Monday meme image in my own IMWAYR posts? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! I could not be more thrilled with my reading this year! So proud of you that you broke 100. That's truly amazing! Definitely use the image. I don't know who made this one, but it's one of the widely-used buttons, so I think it'd be fine. :)

      Delete
    2. Cool, thanks! I couldn't remember if I'd seen it here only, or on other posts. I haven't been using an image at all (booooo hiss!)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see what you thought of Where'd You Go, Bernadette? Glad you're wrapping up the year with some great books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, Shannon! It was so fun and unique and smart and snarky. Can't wait to write a full review of it.

      Delete
  3. Still have to start the Chaos Walking series. Great that you found a few other books for Jazz Age January! Enjoy your books this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so very good and darn near unputdownable!

      Delete
  4. I still have not yet read the Chaos Walking series! I am finishing up some Holmes today, then hoping to dive into The Frozen Deep. With family in town, my reading decreased dramatically and I'm hoping these last couple of days will help make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaos Walking is truly amazing. I cannot thank Heather enough for bugging me until I read it. lol I hope you enjoy The Frozen Deep!

      Delete
  5. I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to finish up the Chaos Walking books all together! I sort of feel sorry for those who only read the first book--because that is a trilogy that truly needs to be taken as a whole. Absolutely some of my favorite books EVER!!! Enjoy, Andi! And may your 2014 reading knock your socks off time after time!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, me too! The first one is great at sucking the reader in, but there's so much more to be discovered and so much character development that happens in books 2 and 3. I finished it while Greyson was napping today, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rave review coming soon. I hope your reading knocks your socks off as well, Debi!

      Delete
  6. I want to read Woman in White, enjoy the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it this afternoon, and while I'm not far in, I'm enjoying it already! I hope you can join us. If not, I hope you enjoy the book whenever you can get to it. :)

      Delete
  7. I loved The Diviners. Easily one of my favourite books of the year. I am so excited for the sequel but not until August. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it, Kelly! I can't say I've given it much attention before now, and I can't remember what a lot of bloggers had to say about it. That it's one of your faves is a great endorsement!

      Delete
  8. I have a huge stack of books to review. I was behind before the holidays started and it's only gotten worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, good luck catching up, Kathy!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I have Bright Young Things on my kindle, thanks for reminding me. I might pick it up for Jazz Age January too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to pick it up, Sam!

      Delete
  10. Love the cover of the Libba Bray book. Hope you get in lots of reading before you have to go back to work. I'm enjoying time off too and surprisingly have not done as much reading as I wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? I kind of adore it, too. ;)

      I didn't do nearly as much reading earlier in the week as I thought I would. When Greyson is not home I take advantage of the time alone to do cleaning and bigger items that are easier accomplished when he's hanging at his dad's house. :)

      Delete
  11. Brain on Fire! So good! But also so likely to turn me into a hypochondriac. I'm curious about Chaos Walking. It seems like a good summer vacation series (I like absorbing things that aren't too complicated), but I might be wrong about that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I must finish one more book in 2013!! I can do it. I hope...

    Your choices for Jazz Age January look fantastic. All three of those are on my tbr list.

    Enjoy the rest of your break, your books, and your time with Greyson!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't decided what book I'm starting the new year with. I'm in the middle of the Percy Jackson series so it might be the next one (whichever one that is that I get to by the end of the day) or it might not. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!